The kit itself is fantastic – the camera body is light and small, and focusses quickly and accurately. And the lens has a great range for everyday shots. Unfortunately, I'm far from the best photographer in the world, so all too often I find myself rescuing shots in Photoshop.
A regular problem I come across is that my macro shots can come out a little soft. Here's an example:
Some of the flowers are a little more blurry than I would like, but there's a quick and easy fix for that!
- Make a duplicate layer of the background layer
- Go to Filter » Other » High Pass
- On this example I used a radius of about 10px, but you can play around to get different results
- Select the new layer in your layers palette
- Set the blend mode to Vivid Light
- Adjust the opacity of the new layer to get the desired sharpness
And here's how it came out side by side: